Monday, November 5, 2007

response #10

Finally. Something I kind of recognize. I have watched the original Trapped in the Closet by R. Kelly a couple years back so I knew what the story was basically about. Even so, Michael Bell-Smith’s Trapped in the Closet All at Once was a little overwhelming at first: everything was all going on at the same time. I tried to focus and watch and try to figure things out at first but after a while I just let it go and just listened to the "music." After I give up trying to tell what's what in the video, it was pretty amazing to me how well the rhythm and image fit together. As the video reached the end, I thought I saw a climax. In general, I wanted to go back and watch the original Trapped in the Closet. Either way, I'd have a hard time calling Bell-Smith's video appropriation art. The original story was ridiculous as it was, by layering the chapters and calling it art doesn't make it better.

Cory Arcangel's Clouds was confusing to me. I couldn't really figure out what it was about. I was not familiar with the codes at all, and I didn't get his point. But since everyone is familiar with Super Mario, everyone can relate to the clouds passing through the game. I guess it brings attention to something that deserves attention in the game.

No comments: