Monday, November 5, 2007

Trapped In the Closet, Super Mario Clouds

I found the effect of the R. Kelly videos layered on top of each other to be quite interesting. The end result was not discordant like I would expect the layering of five songs over each other to be. It was pretty melodic and could have passed for a remix. I have not heard the original songs so I could not really understand what was going on because it was hard to follow any specific song. Certain phrases from each song would stand out and be easier to hear but then they would blend back into the whole mix. The same thing happened with the images, where certain images would be easier to see than other ones. The combination of the songs together really brought out how similar the songs were to each other and I think this is true for a lot of the music played on radios nowadays. I do not know if Bell-Smith was actually trying to get that message (or any message) across through the video though.

Super Mario Clouds was not that meaningful to me because I could not understand the code or the other technical manipulations Arcangel outlined. I only found that it was interesting how the clouds were always the background in the game. I never noticed that when I was younger, although I did not spend that much time playing the video game. It is an interesting concept, but I feel like it is more of a random experiment than a piece of art.

No comments: