Watching Chris Burden's Documentary of the art works he has previously done was very intriguing and provoked many feelings through out the piece. By making a documentary of his pieces he has turned his documentary into a work of art itself. The whole entire piece has human interaction and makes you think about a variety of topics such as how we view pain, solidarity, and how we react as humans when we see such things.
In the piece where he gets shot in the arm and in the piece where Burden crawls through glass I felt uncomfortable and I felt sick just thinking of the pain he was going through. I could relate in a way, not becuase I personally have gone through that pain, but that I could only imagine how it felt being a human being and suffering through that pain. The piece about the bed was very intriguing and I was very impressed how he stayed in the bed for 22 days. It was so weird to see him go through the emotions of at first wanting to leaave and then ending up feeling that he did not want to leave becuase in a sense it was almost like giving up.
Burdens whole piece gave wave to many emotions and many questions. Some of the things he did were confusing and you wondered why a human would do such a thing to one's self, for instance when he shot himself in the arm. It is interesting becuase in a way it is like a science experience with people's limits and emotions. Burden pushed people to feel things in the extremes and did things to see how people reacted. I could see how people could take this video as not really art but just a man trying to get a reaction. This video truly is art becuase human emotion is art. Art envokes feeling and emotion no matter what form it takes. By choosing the form of documentary Burden showed part of the world how and why he saw things and how and why did them and inturn turned them into an art form.
After watching Burden's film, which was eventful and emotionally driven, Terry Fox's vision of what film media ment to him was very different. Fox's video was boring and still and focused mainly on one object or how a few objects interacted with one another. Even though the video was "boring" it did in its own way evoke emotion and was a science experiment of its own. The video kept me intrigued becuase I was looking at one object for one long shot and there was nothing else to steal my attention. I would watch the object waiting for something to happen or calculate in my brain the scenarios that could happen. Becuase of the title " Children's Tapes" it did remind me of something simple a child would play with or be interested in but even then it seemed a bit boring.
Monday, September 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment