Monday, September 3, 2007

From the beginning of Burden's video work he gives his viewers a short preview of the various clips he has prepared. From this scene I was able to get a upfront view of the author before i saw his work. He seemed cautious and calm as he explained some of the more violent acts leaving me with a sense that he some what enjoyed the pain and thrill of death. He enjoys challenging his body to extreme limits and displays it as a form of art. He gets shot in the arm, burned, and cut with glass. This gave me a depiction of the type of work that Burden likes to integrate into his work

With each scene new emotions and ideas were brought out. Much of it was trying to watch the entire clip of Burden torturing himself. After each scene ended I was eager to know what would be Burden's next ridiculous stunt. I was caught up in these violent acts as each scene got longer and looked to be more painful. I could only wonder how someone could endure so much pain for the sake of art. Throughout the movie the viewer gets to listen to Burden's commentary on his take and feelings of each scene. I found it interesting how each scene depicted some sort of vicious act yet Burden's tone of voice remained calm and civil. Although clips of torture and pain were shown I found some of them to be sort of amusing. I get this from how today many t.v. shows exploit people's misfortunes and accidents and turn it into a form of comedy. "Fire Roll" was something i found funny because i was not expecting any act of that sort. After the fire was put out the scene ended so abruptly that we couldn't see the aftermath of the scene.

The one scene that really caught my attention was "Velvet Water." He talks about the significance and life in water but then goes on to commit suicidal acts in front of a sink. This continues for several minutes. As the video progresses I found it harder to watch. It is interesting to note that Burden's commentary has stopped since the start of the act. In every scene the viewer gets a taste of Burden's insight, but I thought this was a chance for the viewer to get her own insight on the work. Through video, Burden has used short clips of painstaking acts to evoke different feelings out of the viewer which I believe he has accomplished.

No comments: