Friday, September 28, 2007

"theme Song and Undertone

Theme song by Vito Acconci was a very disturbing video for me to watch. It made me feel very uncomfortable to sit through not only because of Acconci's actions but as well as what he was saying. Acconci is laying on the floor looking at the camera talking to the viewer, which is rather uncomfortable for the viewer because very rarely do actors in the screen talk to the viewer in such a way. Acconci was saying lyrics from songs trying to lure and seduce the viewer but he seemed to be so drugged out himself that it was a total, for lack of a better word turn off. He was smoking between words and it reminded me of a drunk man on the street trying to hit on a girl that walks by. This form of interaction between the camera and Acconci is meant to make the viewer feel uncomfortable because the viewer almost feels like they have to respond is some sort of way, when in reality whether or not they respond to Acconci he would never know. There is almost a "realness" to his approach in talking to the camera, and I felt like he was really talking to me, almost like he was watching me.
Undertone was a different from Theme Song because Acconci is not talking to the viewer but talking to himself. It was almost as if he was trying to convince himself that something was happening, that there really was a girl caressing him under the table. It was uncomfortable to me because it seemed like I was invading his privacy. This invasion of space is both appealing and not...it's like "big brother" where the viewer is invading into personal boundaries. What he said did not matter so much, it was his facial expressions and how he had a complete disregard for a camera. I didn't feel comfortable watching any of the video's because I didn't know how to respond to them. I didn't know how to respond when Acconci was "talking to me" and I didn't know whether or not to watch while invading his privacy in Undertone.

No comments: