Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Exchange Response

My biggest problem with this video is the narrator. At first I thought that it was Robert Morris himself but he kept saying things that contradicted this. The narrator claimed that Morris "wanted (him) to add in closing" a certain thing and made suggestions to better wording for things that Morris had apparently written for the narrator to read. Despite these seemingly candid suggestions, they also had an air of rehearsal and scripting. The often poetic nature of the commentary suggests a serious amount of planning and practicing that the narrator seems to pass off as casual observation. It's annoying.

Not only was the identity of the narrator confusing but I was also confused about the significance of his presence (or voice). Often his commentary doesn't seem to correlate with what he is describing or by the time the narrator finishes describing a work, the viewer is halfway through watching something else. The stories that he tells, helping an Italian woman carry groceries on a bus or describing an obscure dream sequence seem completely random and I have no idea how they connect to the images being shown. His use of repetition did align with the repetition of images and video clips being shown but after hearing that "he is removed from her presence" five or six times, I was ready to mute the whole video just so I wouldn't have to hear him make that comment again. As if reading my mind, the narrator claimed that he wouldn't say that again and he doesn't throughout the second half of the video.

No comments: