Monday, October 8, 2007

Nauman and Palestine

Walking in an Exaggerated Manner looked more like a slow motion video except it wasn't which was the cool part. It was done very methodically even as he went backwards he did mot misstep or felt the need to look down often. Even the moments where he disappeared from view where interesting because even though I knew where he was I had this sense of anticipation. It was as if we were playing a game. The exaggerated hip movements were the best part, it was as though he was walking really really slowly on a runway backwards. His focus and commitment were amazing too.

Stamping in the Studio was confusing. First of all why is the thing upside down? Is he implying that he is walking on the roof? And the sound is out of sync...actually it is not out of sync but it only comes from one foot and not the other. The rhythm is addictive and annoying after a while. The fact that he seems to have no purpose makes it even more confusing. So I guess what separates dance rituals from what he is doing is an understanding, a purpose, and maybe a pattern or per formative aspect. The randomness of his movement and his isolation takes away from his "aesthetic practice."

Pinch Neck by contrast was slightly disturbing. It probably would have been more disturbing to me a month ago. I actually became fascinated in spite of myself by the elasticity of his skin and the way he manipulated it. It made me think of those silicon face mask they make for movies.

Charlemagne Palestine sounded like manic cartoon character. If Pop-eye went crazy and planned a escaped "Island Song" would be the outcome. I know the caption said he was muttering "Gotta get outta here...gotta get outta here..." but for some reason I could only hear him say "okay here". The island is surrounded by water so there is no way he could get out of there but perhaps the speed and rhythm of motorbike gave him a sense of purpose in the same way it did for Nauman in the Stamping piece. I loved the Tarzan-like screams, he almost didn't sound crazy but melodic for a fraction of a second. I think this will make an awesome ride at disneyland.

No comments: