Wednesday, October 24, 2007
response #8
Exchange is a weird video to watch. Aside from the commentary, the videos look familiar. Lynda Benglis and Robert Morris made a collaboration of videos in which they respond to each other's work. The artists communicates through the videos they make for each other. They use the other's previous video as raw material where they were free to express whatever they wanted. In Morris's Exchange, the beginning where he explained the situation literally gave me a headache, I didn't hear a thing he said. The commentary that followed the explanation was also hard to follow. I don't know if I understood any of the things that were said. So basically, I sat through this video not knowing what's going on with a headache. Somewhere in the video, Benglis's voice was present that shared her view and aritistic input in this project, I wish I heard more of that, I would like to know her response to all Morris's outcry of desire (did I get that right?) The commentary was read by someone other than Morris as far as I could tell, who was not very fond of his desire and personal experssion into a professional work. His emotions were shown in his commentary in a already unclear narrative. I think the commentary didn't even match up with the visual that I was seeing at the time. This video was the most unpleasant one this semester. I probably should go back to watch it again to get a better idea of what it is about. But I don't think I'd be able to make myself do that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment