Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Exchange

I found this video to be extremely confusing, partly because it seemed to be taken out of context. I am not too sure what the other videos Morris and Benglis were exchanging are about so it was hard for me to absorb all the information Morris gave as he narrated throughout the piece. The beginning of Exchange really reminded me of Richard Serra’s Boomerang with the echoing sound effect as Morris began his narration. It was hard to listen to and comprehend what he was saying because of this echoing. Morris’s narration seemed pretty well prepared but was delivered in almost a monotone and I found myself zoning out because he just kept droning on and on. It seemed like the specific things he was talking about didn’t always correspond with the images being shown. Benglis can also be heard talking in the background at times, but once again, it doesn’t seem to relate to what Morris is talking about at the specific moment. Perhaps because there was so much layering, and I had very little idea what Morris was talking about, the video just was not interesting to me. It seemed really long and I couldn’t bring myself to concentrate on everything he talked about. Also, because I wasn’t sure what Morris looks like, I couldn’t understand a lot of the clips being shown. Normally the small blurb underneath the video helps to explain what is going on, but this time even that did not really help much.

No comments: